Thursday, March 25, 2010

SSSC61 - Thanks, Selena!!

This card was made for the Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge #61 from The Sweetest Thing blog. LOOK! My cousin, Selena, send me the SU! bird punch I've been wanting - Thanks so much!! Along with the punch she sent 4 old books with lots of yellowed pages for me to plunder. That should be good news for Corey since now his concert book is safe - for a while anyway! ;-)
The bird is punched from my new/old book paper. Do you want to know how I did the background?
I've been hoarding my Claudine Hellmuth Sticky Back Canvas for a while now and decided it was time to use it! I initially tried punching the bird from the canvas but that wasn't working. That canvas may be too tough for a hand held punch but it didn't stand a chance against the Nestabilities Classic Circle die.
I took 3 of my Tim Holtz distress inks that match my background paper (Basic Grey Offbeat 6x6 paperpad) and smooshed them directly onto my craft mat. I diluted them with a Ranger Mini Mister filled with water and a couple tiny scoops of white Perfect Pearls then swirled my cut canvas through the ink.
A quick blast with my heat gun dried it - see the gleam on the craft mat from the Perfect Pearls?
I was hoping for a more diluted look but since I used canvas (which is fabric) it soaked in really quickly. After the fact I realized that it probably would have been a better bet to have used cardstock. I also added a quick spritz of the "pearly water" to the bird elements too -
Hey mom, do you see the thing I put on this card just for you??!!

5 comments:

veronica said...

love your new bird punch! very cute card. love the colors too.

Kimberly Jones said...

Now I want a bird punch too! What a sweet card! And I see what you put on there just for your mom!

Unknown said...

Love it! and the bird especially!

Becky Rusher said...

I know how much you've been wanting that bird punch! How sweet of Selena to send it you! Great card!

The Swinks said...

Glad you like it. Funny too because I just saw this post for the first time today but I used an old book and the bird punch on a card this weekend. Of course mine wasn't nearly as splendiforous as yours. It's beautiful!